November 10, 2010

Sunday "Trail" Ride

This past Sunday, the wife kicked me out of the house for a bike ride...solo.  I was a bit reluctant at first, and then I remembered the Sand Creek Trail is right around the corner.  Ive wanted to explore the southern half of the trail as it goes from being all nice and paved to sandy, gravelly, cyclocross potential type surface...so I headed out.

The weather was perfect...started in the mid 60's and by the end of the ride it was in the low 70's, which for Colorado this time of year is a gift from the weather gods indeed(to contrast that with waking up this morning to mid 20's and a light dusting of snow on the ground).

The pics below I took on the ride.  I managed to tool around some and figure out a nice steady route that took me east/south on the Sand Creek Trail, and eventually wind my way back towards the house on the Highline Canal Trail.

If you've got a 'Cross bike and enjoy just going out for a "cyclocross" type ride, then these 2 trails are perfect.  There were also lots of sections(ill check out later), that have some single track that runs along both creek beds.

For my friends back east in NC, Ill be posting pics of the upcoming snow soon.  Ive actually missed riding in the snow, and I thought that wouldnt happen again.  Looks like I might get a chance tomorrow, for a commute in the snow home!

Next time I go out, ill fire up the GPS and route it out.  Im curious to see if there's workout potential on this ride.  

Sand Creek running low

you can sort of make out the downtown & mountains over there

Sun and gravel for lots of the ride

there's trailer parks out here too!

considering the creek is directly to my right, i hope these things dont leak!

there are some paved sections on the southern part of the sand creek trail

the "Green Machine" wants everyone to know the Lottery pays for CO trails!

rolled through a beautiful nature preserve

those clouds rolled in right as I pulled into the driveway

yes, this will be an "indoor mall" in the near future(old Lowry Airforce Base)

great CO day for a ride

little bit of desert, little bit of grassland

1 comment: