March 20, 2012

Commuting

Last week at #bikeschool, there were alot of questions about commuting.  Its always a subject somewhere in the cycling world.  Someone wants to know how to get from home to work on their bike, what they should carry, what to wear...etc.  There's always some "commuter expert" thats out there who "knows best" as well.

I get asked what I carry sometimes, especially back in my messenger days.  Yes, thats right, I have Actual street cred when it comes to this one.  10yrs a messenger in Denver CO will teach you how to travel on the bike...all day.


At one point my commute to "work"(downtown Denver) from home was about 45mins each way, work 8hrs/day on the bike and then back home.  So, I decided to just throw it out there for people who might wanna know what I carry and how I plan my rides on the bike to work.


  • Waterproof shoulder courier bag...had mine made custom by a guy here in Denver.
  • helmet
  • light(s)...I use 2 front...1 strobe, 1 Stella 150 to actually see with and a rear flasher
  • work clothes
  • Gerber multi tool
  • "Saddle bag"(I keep it in my bag, dont like hanging it on the bike)
  • cycling clothing...1 layer up/warmer and 1 layer down/colder than whatever the forecast says.  I always keep lil things like knee/arm warmers, toe covers, gloves and hats in  cause I can deal with a cold body, but a cold head, hands or feet sucks
  • malas and Tibetan prayer flag tied with gold yak yarn...given to me by my good friend Bill Fehr from a trip he actually took to Tibet.  Its my bit of faith thrown in...just sayin
  • u-lock
  • food...depending on the length I try and take the appropriate amount.
  • phone
  • ID
  • dinero
  • handpump
Thats pretty much the gist of it.  Im sure I left something out that Ill remember after I post this.  One optional thing is a fender.  If there's rain in the forecast I tend to err on the side of caution.  Luckily my bag is big enough that if I dont wanna "dork out" the bike with a fender I can put inside.



my good friend, fellow messenger from Charlotte NC gave me the prayer flag. Ive always carried the prayer beads...Malas. Just cause I dont talk about doesnt mean I dont have an "exit strategy"


the saddle bag has the spare tube, co2 and multi tool 


Light N Motion makes some really awesome commuter lights. Ive loved this thing. Unfortunately I have to buy a new charger as I cant find the OG!
Obviously I try to minimize weight, but Id rather be safe than sorry.  If Im 100% sure ill be home before dark in the summer, Ill leave the lights at home.

Bag types is a personal thing.  Just use whatever doesnt give you shoulder/neck/back pain and feels right.  I also bought some iron on reflective stickers and added them to the bag and to an old helmet I used to wear(while I was wearing it, not now, that would be stupid).  It definitely helps as you can see in the first pic.

Thats about it...

...boots out.

2 comments:

  1. u from rhode island or something? what up with the anchor, in denver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! Nah, the guy who made the bag called his company "Anchor Bags". Almost moved there once though

      Delete