March 17, 2012

I Got New Rubber

Im not the best at "keeping" up with the seasons, much less equipment choices for those seasons.  I decided today I would get some new rubber at the shop.  Ive been riding some Vittoria CX file tread tires for as long as I can remember(within the past year), and theyve been great.  Im not out training with groups or worried about my tire contact patch or any of that stuff.  I wanted a new comfy ride with some low rolling resistance and something that would go through minor snow falls and trail rides...hence the cx tires.

Ive been wanting to put some "road" tires on the bike, but the vain part of me just cant stand the way std road tires look on cross bikes.  They also handle differently than on a road bike..guess cuz theyre "made" for road riding right?

I eyed a pair of these Challenge Paris/Roubaix tires when I first set foot in Creekside.  Well, today, after much research and deliberation, I snagged a pair of them...big ole 27mm suckers!  I was super pleased with the way they felt, way faster than some file tread with meat on the side cx tire thats for sure.

The crappy thing was that as I got on the bike path about half a mile from the shop, a small hole that had been sealed with the stans I run in my tubes, from an earlier ride began to bubble and blew out real quick like.  Luckily I stopped the bike just after it blew...unluckily my new rear tire has a nice lil scuff on it now...bah humbug!

Anywho...they were nice and once I get the pressure thing dialed in, i think Ill ride these bad boys till cx season.

nice lil "OG" gumwall action and some big comfy pillows for me

luckily its not detrimental to the tire itself...yet
...boots out.

4 comments:

  1. Good choice on tire width, I rock some 28mm Conti Gatorskins on my cross bike in the Road Season (my off season) I run about half the air pressure as some of my larger skinny tired riding friends, plus the fatter tire is much more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally a better choice...fatter the better...tires only though! Im playing with my pressure as on the longer commute I dont wanna lose too much speed since Im way out of shape. Low and slow for me!

      Delete
  2. Nice! I went with a set of Clement Strada LGGs, 28c. Good casing. However, due to some family health issues I've not gotten the chance to ride them. Eh, so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to ride them soon man! Also, hope the health issues get better for you.

      Delete