January 2, 2012

Chili...Its Whats Fer Dinner

Posting again...yes, I know, hold the phone call Guinness.  Over the past few months I managed to acquire some cool toys to help around the kitchen, since I do most of the food prep its awesome.  Tonight I'm making Chili(thanks to the Crock pot) and Beer Bread(thanks to the Bread machine).  Ive been working on this recipe, chili, for a few months now.  Here it is in case anyone wants an easy slow cooker recipe.  Don't worry, I'm not gonna go all Le Cordon Bleu on you!  You can substitute anything you want in, use organic ingredients...whatever, this is just a nice lil recipe Ive managed to get dialed in for my taste buds.

1 Crock pot or Slow Cooker
1.5/2lbs of ground beef(I use 80/20)
1 large green pepper
1 large red pepper
1/2 white onion
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 large can(the kind that look like 2) crushed tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes(I get the Rotel w/green chilies)
1-2 green chilies(if you cant find the Rotel w/green chili)
1 can yellow corn
salt
pepper
cumin
chili powder
chipotle Tabasco sauce
cheese(garnish)
sour cream(garnish)

Brown the ground beef in a skillet till all the pink is out.  Drain the excess grease and add it to the crock pot.  Add all the cans of tomatoes.  Open and drain all the cans of beans EXCEPT for 1(add it with the juice) and add them to the crock pot.  Chop/cut/dice the onion and peppers to desired size, just keep in mind bigger pieces cook longer...I like mine on the softer side...throw'em right in.  Same thing with the corn, drain it though.  Once everything is in I start with 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 tablespoons of cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and 3 tablespoons of the chipotle Tabasco sauce.  If you cant find this stuff you can find chipotle chilies in a jar or can typically in the "Mexican" aisle at the store.

After everything is in, i give it a good mix then put the lid on and turn the Crock pot to "Low" and walk away.  Ideally 7-8 hrs is best, but I've stopped at 6 cause the family was getting hungry.  The only difference is the veggies aren't as on the soft side as I like...personal preference.  Finished product below.

Now if you're a veggie/vegan, you probably know better than I what to substitute for the meat.

This is a first posting for me in the arena of food, so lemme know if you need clarification on anything.

im not sure how i feel about photographing chili...hmmmm



No comments:

Post a Comment